Wednesday 29 November 2017

​Panforte 
This version has pistachios and hazelnuts - it is not the recipe below but has the essentials 

Since I found a recipe for Panforte in a Saturday supplement in the Age ~20 years ago, I make Panforte most years. There was an error in the original ingredients list: it asked for 1/4 cup each of cocoa and nutmeg. Against my better judgement I followed the recipe and it was awful as you would have guessed.  I rang the chef to query it.  He was most apologetic.
The take home message: if things don't look right, use your own judgement.  Always cook according to your own taste and if in doubt compare a few recipes and take a middle line.

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups toasted almonds coarsely chopped
¾ cup finely chopped candied citrus peel
½ cup plain flour
¼ cup cocoa
½ tsp each of ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg
A pinch of cloves and coriander
1/3 cup runny honey
½ cup sugar

Method
Mix together nuts and peel.
Sift flour flour, cocoa, and spices and mix through nut mixture.
Heat honey and sugar over low heat till sugar dissolves and then bring to the boil.  Boil until it reaches soft boil stage (remember you are NOT making toffee so better to be less cooked than over cooked!).
Pour over nut, fruit mixture and working quickly incorporate all the ingredients.
Turn into a greased lined 20 cm pan and press down firmly.
Bake in a cool oven  ~150C for 30-35 mins  Cool then turn out and sprinkle with icing sugar.
Cut into wedges and wrap in foil of cellophane.

Chook's notes: use edible rice paper to line pan for ease of handling after baking. I use 3 or 4 small pans if I am making this as gifts.
My son has added ginger and hazelnuts and figs to make a delicious version. The ingredients and spices are up to you. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,
    Is that 1/4 teaspoon of cocoa?
    ;-)
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, sorry about that Pat. Its 1/4 cup of cocoa. I've corrected the recipe. Thanks for letting me know :)

    ReplyDelete