A quick an easy dish which can be thrown together from pantry items. I always modify to taste and according to what I have in the pantry-freezer
Ingredients
1 ½ cups Japanese rice
½ cup sake (optional)
1 3/4 cup salmon stock or dashi (or chicken stock)
2 green onions, sliced thin
150gm cooked salmon meat, flaked
2 Tbsp furikake seasoning (see below)
1 to 2 Tbsp sesame oil
Serves 4
Method
Rinse the rice well before cooking. Put the rice, sake and stock in a pot, cover and turn on high until it boils. Drop the heat to medium-low and cook until the rice is mostly done, about 10 mins. When it's done, quickly uncover the pot and put in the green onions and salmon. Cover the pot and wait 5 minutes.
When you are ready to serve, fluff the rice with the sesame oil and furikake seasoning.
Chook's notes: If you don't have furikake seasoning, simply toast 2 Tbsp of sesame seeds and use that. (For recipe see https://thepingingchook.blogspot.com/2025/07/citrus-furikake.html)
I substitute Chinese cooking wine for sake and use chicken stock (because it is always handy).
I rarely have Japanese rice so I simple use medium grain white. You can use precooked rice from the freezer, warm it and then add the green onions and a little stock before adding the salmon
I usually make this with smoked salmon cooking pieces or hot smoked salmon fillets.
Optional serving suggestions: add a touch of cream or butter and lemon juice to the rice, serve with steamed snow peas and scatter with chopped dill.
No comments:
Post a Comment