Thursday 8 June 2017

​Pikelets or Dropped scones - my Mums recipe
Every time there was something on anywhere, Mum cooked a batch of dropped scones.  They were a family favourite and no one makes them as good as she did.  I think it was her patience - which I have little of.
These look exactly like Mum's - obviously I didn't cook them!
(I borrowed the pic from http://www.bestrecipes.com.au thanks)

Ingredients
* 1 lg cup flour - depends what you're making. I use SR if doing dropped scones but I have used plain and for savoury pancakes (see below) I have used spelt flour and even used half and half fine polenta but they need to be cooked longer.
* pinch salt
* 1 egg
* 3/4 cup milk
* Add 1-2 tsp sugar if making sweet pancakes

Method
1, Mix egg into flour (to which the salt has been added). Add milk slowly until thickish batter consistency is reached.
2. Cook in spoonfuls in hot greased pan. Turn only once when you see the bubbles burst on top.

Chook's chuckle: if your mum was anything like mine, her recipes were dotted with esoteric instructions like - a 'good' or 'large' cup. Is that a mug or a heaped cup or ....? I just heap it up and hope for the best, but she had her favourite measuring cup, an old chipped one (pink at one stage) without a handle. It was precious. One also lived in the sugar tin.

Savoury pancakes.
This is a favourite in our kitchen and uses up left over vegies or meat - Mum used to use any scraps of  'lamb' left over once the Sunday roast leg had been milked for every meal it would stretch to - sangers, cottage pie, etc. They were big legs!

Make a batch of the batter above and toss in 1 cup or so of left over vegies (and/or meat) - you might want to pull back a bit on the flour or add a little more milk or water to the mix. If you're like us we love onion so I add 1/2 small onion finely diced.

I cook both sweet and savoury pancakes in butter - because as they say 'butter makes it better'!

And while we're talking about left overs. Vegies, rice. just about anything can be fried up - with diced onion of course! a couple of tbsp flour or polenta, add an egg to bind and there you have a stunning brekkie or lunch. My variation on Bubble and Squeak.

No comments:

Post a Comment