Sunday 15 October 2017

​Yummy sandwich fillings!

On the road our lunches are usually sandwiches and I'm always looking for new delicious fillings. So please share your favourites. Does anyone use watercress or nasturtiums? I’d be in how you prepare the leaves. I have seen recipes that say to wash and then soak in water and vinegar. Any ideas? Please email me pingingchook@gmail.com (yes this account is me, Heather, and is up and running)

Here are a few of my and Lindsay’s favourites.

  • Curried tuna and onion (I simply sweat a little onion in butter, add curry powder and cook for a minute or two then stir through drained tuna)
  • Pate and red capsicum
  • Chopped chicken, cucumber and mayo
  • Brie, cucumber and onion
  • Brie, red capsicum and capers
  • Curried egg with wasabi mayo
  • Home cooked corned beef with pickles 
  • Grated mozzarella, capsicum, mayo and mustard
  • Salmon and onion
  • Tuna, onion and cheese
  • Cucumber and cheese - tasty (or cream if you prefer)
  • Cheese and good zingy chutney
  • Prawn salad - chopped prawns with a slop of zingy mayo, finely diced celery and capsicum

Zingy mayo - simply add a dash of wasabi, chilli or Tabasco sauce to your favourite mayo.
If you’re a lettuce lover then throw that in too but remember it will lose its crunch if you prepare your sandwiches ahead.

Chook's note: Sandwiches can be dry or mushy, but you don’t want them soggy either. Creating a balance is critical. Depending on the thickness of the bread, I like to add a smear of mayo and maybe Dijon mustard for a little moisture and a hint of zing.
I rarely add tomato to sangers because it tends to make them too wet - unless you’re going to eat them straight away. (A flash back here to the kitchen when I was growing up. Mum usually had a crust of bread or two on the side while making sandwiches. Tomato or beetroot were usually sitting draining on these.) But back to the red sandwich vege. I have replaced tomato with red capsicum. Tasty and moist and adds a bit of crunch.
Go easy on the herbs as they can be a bit overpower. Having said that however I love chicken with a generous topping if fresh coriander leaves. Yum!
Onion adds great depth of flavour to many fillings but use carefully. Too much will spoil the main flavour.

Prolong: I hated sandwiches as a child at school. So my darling mum tried to temp me by creating surprises - apple, cinnamon and sugar, honey cut into tiny bit sizes, beetroot which I loved, and Milo!
I was a finicky eater; look at me now - can you believe that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment